• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC X370 Taichi BOIS update p5.10+ lost NVME

Status
Not open for further replies.

genedjr

Community Elite
ASRock X370 Taichi, 
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8GB 288-Pin DDR4 2400 PC4 19200, not overclocked
Samsung SM951 256GB PCIe Gen3 8Gb/s x4 M.2 80mm
GTX 970

Here is my problem.

Under BIOS p3.30 everything worked fine. I bought a Vega 56 and after reboot crashed the BIOS (flashing 00 error) [this is a whole other post]. 

So I decided to upgrade the BIOS.

- installed latest VGA driver from ASRock. System was fine.
- flashed P5.10 - system could not find the NVME drive.
- flashed p5.50 - system could not find the NVME drive.
- disconnected all other storage devices - no NVME.
- booted with another physical SATA disk - Windows can find the NVME and I can navigate the folders. So I know the NVME works and is usable which confirmed this is a BIOS issue.

I had this issue before but was able to revert to p3.30 and ignore it. As ASRock has limited the ability to downgrade the BIOS I am stuck.
Logged the issue with ASRock support and put a post similar to this on the ASRock forums.

Thoughts?

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
A little more info.  As I could see the NVME disk in BIOS after several reboots, i decided to just reinstall windows.  Windows, but Windows errored out saying it could not install on the disk (it could see it).

The error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensurethat the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

In storage it shows enabled as far as I can tell.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, more data...

Using a SSD in slot SATA 1 - I was able to install windows and restore everything (to make a long weekend a little shorter😖)  And well, I assume everything as that process is still ongoing.

The catch is, while I can see and use the NVME disk, I cannot boot from it.  
My original issue was the Vega 56 crashing the system to the BIOS error of blinking "00".  That is also resolved.  The Vega 56 is running flawlessly with 55+ FPS at ultra settings in the benchmark on 15 year old 1920x1200 monitor @60Hz. (1440p gaming here I come!)

But as I noted in other forums, I am not sure if its the fresh W10, BIOS update, or both.  But my guess is fresh W10 install.  I am always loath to do a fresh install as it takes days to get everything set back up.  But hey this took days to figure out and it not soup yet - I just have a work around.

Anyway - we'll see what ASRock says.  IMNSHO - updating the BIOS so you have options should not break what you have working today.

...gene

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
Keep us updated on this. My gut instinct was perhaps it was a RAID issue and the new BIOS changed your RAID settings meaning it was looking wholly in the wrong place for its NVME disc, obviously I have no idea if you've previously changed default settings though. However, this might be why swapping to the other SSD worked for you. 

That said, locking BIOS like ASRock have is really unhelpful! 

Last edited by a moderator:

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, ASRock has offered to RMA the MB after me owning it for almost 2 years - I can't fault them for that.  In fact that is quite lenient.  But it looks like I need to send it first - so I would be out of a system for a while.  If that is the case, I am buying a x470 from someone else and selling the new MB.  I cannot be without a main system that long. (Hours is bad, days unlivable, I use this box 10-14 hours a day.)

But hey - updating the BIOS should not impact a working system.   So what if I want to use a new processor in the future, why would that break the one I am using - no wait - it did not break that.  So right now, I am booting from SSD on SATA 1.  That is working fine, but the performance difference is very noticeable.  I went from seconds to 10s of seconds for everything on the OS disk.

Even if I need to upgrade processors, tell me - that may be an exciting option.  Can we say R7 2700!!!!!

And no response from my query as to fixing the M.2 boot issue.   I will give it another day - but then I am probably back to Asus/MSI as I have had zero issues with several of their products.  Though right now Gigabyte is cheapest with great reviews.  (x470 and WiFi is a must)

As for RAID, the disk is set to ACHI (or something like that where the other choice is RAID).  I do have a mirror, but I let Windows take care of that.

I am very disappointed.   This setup has worked damn'd near perfect since the build.  But - updates to the BIOS are critical for a long "use life" and ASRock has failed that measure - so far.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, I did get the RMA from ASRock.  That is fantastic in my opinion.  But as noted, I have to send mine back first.  To make up for the loss, I ordered and received today Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi.  $150 from NewEgg.   I am just too cheap to go the Asus ROG Crosshair VII  Hero route.

So another build weekend.

I will be selling the RMA MB when it arrives.  The're $160 on Amazon.

...gene

Missed the sale - $190 with tax

Last edited by a moderator:

genedjr

Community Elite
First, with the news below - I will highly consider ASRock again, and as I loved the MB, probably a 1st/2nd choice.  I now know what is up (the sky)!

OK, so here is why...

AMD, evidently, has serious updates for each generation of CPU, so much that the original BIOS memory in at least all first gen MBs is WAY to small.  No X370 BIOS can contain everything.  While I am unsure of others, all MB manufactures had to make choices on what to support.  So hence my dilemma.

And with the announcement that AMD will not support PCI4.0 on the  X470 and below,  I will be selling the RMA once it is returned. maybe - lol.

It still may be a cheaper path to upgrade my son.  Time will tell.  He (and I) 'want' to have him remain Intel - and that works for our future plans, but there is the money thing....

So, ASRock gets my vote - buy them, the RMA was a very good thing for everyone.  (And I assume this is so common I will get back my original MB.) 'news at 11'

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, ASRock acknowledged receiving my MB, but now an engineer need to inspect it - 4 to 7 days.  Do they really expect a customer to be without a system for weeks?  So some good,. some not so good.

I still commend ASRock for the RMA, but the timing needs to be in hours not days.

...gene

PS I am sure they are kicking themselves for not including a HUGE BIOS chip.  I bet they fix that for the top boards like the Taichi.  It's a $2 part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements