• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Meet the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RimBlock

Underground, overground, wombling free
Hi And welcome to Meet the Team.

Currently the team consists of myself... Hi :1_grinning: .

I am looking for others interested in joining this game project and who have the skills needed to help it progress.  Please contact me if you believe you fit the bill.

Bios.

RimBlock

Born in the UK, I have been interested in computing from an early age.  Since managing to clock Missile Command on the Atari 2600 whilst still in school, I have found the sirens call of the possibilities inherent in computing to be a strong motivator.  Having spent my career in computing fields. in various countries,  I moved to Singapore in 2007 and have lived here ever since with my wife and kids.

In 2014 I came across a game called DayZ, maybe you have herd of it  :10_wink: .  Whilst is was an awesome walking and fashion simulation with so many hats to choose from and it also had zombies and was set in modern times.  I played for a few hours, changed boots, died, lost everything, ate some fruit I found, died, lost everything, waved at a stranger and fellow survivor, died and lost everything until I discovered there was a better way.  DayZ, it seemed, was based on the Arma 2 DayZ mod and from that had spawned the A2 DayZ Epoch mod with, gasp, base building and lock boxes and stuff.  Best yet you can run your own servers.

I jumped straight in, chopped some wood, built a small hut, got shot and lost everything :31_neutral_face: .  With that sinking feeling of dread descending, I came across the DayZ Epoch mod community and found that you could mod the mod  :51_scream: .  Someone had written a mod to allow you to keep your items after death but was not maintaining it and was happy for me to take it over.  One complete rewrite and renaming later and 'A Plot for Life"  was released.  Currently at version 2.5, its one of the most popular DayZ Epoch Mods (around 135k views).  It also enabled me to work with a guy going by the name of Raymix.

It turned out Raymix and myself had an interest in a new game and decided to work on it together.  It would be a total conversion based on the Arma 3 Engine and written using their scripting language (SQF).  We worked on it, on and off, for about a year, testing concepts, building dev tools and getting to grips with the Arma 3 engine when personal commitments forced us to stop the development.  We disbanded and the project was put on ice...

Community Involvement

After many hours in The Division, I find myself coming back to this project thinking there must be a better way.  Having obtained a blessing from Raymix to fully take ownership of the game and concepts, I am now starting the project up again.  I loved playing The Division but some of the design decisions I find quite frustrating and the lack of interest, until very recently, in the community feedback was crazy.  I believe the community can be a massive help and decided I wanted to engage at the very beginning.  

• My goals for community interaction are;
  • To allow the community to influence the games design (new ideas, fine tuning current ideas).
  • Meet others with the interest to join the development and have the skill sets needed.
  • To provide feedback on the project as the community is the stakeholders.
  • To reward those who are willing to contribute with constructive ideas.
 There are of course limits though.  Not all ideas will be possible, practical or in fitting with my overall 'vision' for this game.  Whilst I will consider all suggestions, I will have final say of what goes in and what does not.  If all things work out, the game will be made available for purchase on Steam and contributors will be rewarded in various ways yet to be determined.

It should also be noted that this is a very long term project.  I can only work on it in my limited free time.  I will not be sourcing for any sort of crowd funding until late in development when we have tangible results if at all.  I am well aware of the promises some games that have been early access or crowd funded have failed to deliver and do not wish for this to go the same way.

A big thank you to @g1nt3r for being willing to set these forums up and partner on this project.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements