• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

The DZ isn't a PVP area it's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis---

The outrage was predictable.

And I saw it coming a mile away.

There is a semantic misconception going on right now that needs to be corrected. It is an issue of language, of new words and old words, and how new vernacular displaces and replaces older more primitive language. This displacement creates the loss of language and this loss creates a condition where we no longer have the vocabulary to describe the thing that we see. This condition is called hypocognition.

On to my point.

The Division is not a PVP game. There is no structured outlet to enable players to opt in to combat on relatively fair and even footing in an area designed to prevent unequal opening positioning. The division doesn’t do that. It makes no attempts to do this. The Division is not a player vs. Player game. If you bought it expecting that you’ve been misled by your own expectations.

I don’t think this misleading was an intentional deception so much as related to language evolving. The word used to describe what the division is has fallen out of common use.

The Division is not a PVP game.

The Division is a PK game.

Player.

Killer.

The Division is designed around the concept of unequal combat. Your back is turned to me – I shoot you in it. You are busy farming – I am busy farming you. You’re fighting mobs – I’m fighting you. You’re alone – I brought friends. You think we’re fighting together as a team – but I’m just waiting for loot to drop for you, so I can take it from you.

This is it. Zero-sum, winner take all, I kill you and I loot you tactical combat. This isn’t a system designed for starting on equal footing, with relatively fair teams.

I knew what the Division was going to be after ten minutes in the Dark Zone in the beta.

It was a PK game. It was a game where my friends and I could hunt other players, loot their corpses, and keep their things.

To that I commend Ubisoft for making it. There hasn’t been a real PK game in years. Over a decade perhaps. The last I remember enjoying so fully was Ultima Online in its earliest days. And that environment was created accidently through the interesting and poorly thought out politics of its developers (they believed in market based solutions to everything including player behavior). It was anarchy. There were very few internally constructed governors or restrictions on anti-social player behavior. It was PK paradise. It was amazing.

The Division has even less restrictions on behavior and Player Killing – your murderer flag goes away after a few minutes.  Ubisoft sold has sold The Division as an experience where the social compact breaks down and you fall into a Hobbesian rabbit hole of the war everyone against everyone else where man is wolf to man forever.

And this is a game that actually delivered on its promises. In it society has collapsed, order has collapsed, and it is in the process of reorganizing itself into something new, something different, that may not resemble its origins in the least. It is a world without culture. Yes, there are museums and Broadway posters and advertisements and architecture but they are nothing more than meaningless buildings and wasted paper. I see you standing there, in the middle of that great unraveling thing, your little avatar, trying to play nice and get along in a world that has already ended.

Or you can lash out. There is no meaningful content except other players.

There is no end-game – You are the end game.

I think it’s normal that some people’s feelings are hurt over this.

Ubisoft sold you the end of the world.

Your buyer’s remorse seems natural enough.

Superiorpen

Community Member
Well said, but you should see that many of the complaints are actually pretty well  justified. I love the game, but the dark zone still needs tons of work; but you are correct in saying it should not be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loco

Now, if there was just some way to mark the ones who bit you as you were leveling up, and a simple interface in your base to arrange a dz meet and greet. Some anarchist @$$holes would get their wages.

Voyager42

Community Agent
I've only been into the DZ from level 12-21 and it hasn't been all that bad. Does it get worse as you go along? 

ItsJustBandit

The Dark Zone is completely optional. You can get the exact same endgame loot by not entering there. Also being that it is a loot based game, PvP will never be fair. The way you worded this was great and if people researched their games at all before buying them they would realize the Dark Zone is not fair. I got this from the first ten minutes of looking this game up. Whoever has better gear and brings more friends will win. It's as simple as that. 

This is also coming from someone who has never been to the Dark Zone before, I love PKing so it sounds like Heaven to me, I can kill whoever I want with very few consequences and can be rewarded for it if someone got some good loot.

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
Actually, i was thinking of EVE and pirates instead of rogues. Though obviously not a shooter but similar treachery.

YorkshireMyers

Community Agent
The outrage was predictable.

And I saw it coming a mile away.

There is a semantic misconception going on right now that needs to be corrected. It is an issue of language, of new words and old words, and how new vernacular displaces and replaces older more primitive language. This displacement creates the loss of language and this loss creates a condition where we no longer have the vocabulary to describe the thing that we see. This condition is called hypocognition.

On to my point.

The Division is not a PVP game. There is no structured outlet to enable players to opt in to combat on relatively fair and even footing in an area designed to prevent unequal opening positioning. The division doesn’t do that. It makes no attempts to do this. The Division is not a player vs. Player game. If you bought it expecting that you’ve been misled by your own expectations.

I don’t think this misleading was an intentional deception so much as related to language evolving. The word used to describe what the division is has fallen out of common use.

The Division is not a PVP game.

The Division is a PK game.

Player.

Killer.

The Division is designed around the concept of unequal combat. Your back is turned to me – I shoot you in it. You are busy farming – I am busy farming you. You’re fighting mobs – I’m fighting you. You’re alone – I brought friends. You think we’re fighting together as a team – but I’m just waiting for loot to drop for you, so I can take it from you.

This is it. Zero-sum, winner take all, I kill you and I loot you tactical combat. This isn’t a system designed for starting on equal footing, with relatively fair teams.

I knew what the Division was going to be after ten minutes in the Dark Zone in the beta.

It was a PK game. It was a game where my friends and I could hunt other players, loot their corpses, and keep their things.

To that I commend Ubisoft for making it. There hasn’t been a real PK game in years. Over a decade perhaps. The last I remember enjoying so fully was Ultima Online in its earliest days. And that environment was created accidently through the interesting and poorly thought out politics of its developers (they believed in market based solutions to everything including player behavior). It was anarchy. There were very few internally constructed governors or restrictions on anti-social player behavior. It was PK paradise. It was amazing.

The Division has even less restrictions on behavior and Player Killing – your murderer flag goes away after a few minutes.  Ubisoft sold has sold The Division as an experience where the social compact breaks down and you fall into a Hobbesian rabbit hole of the war everyone against everyone else where man is wolf to man forever.

And this is a game that actually delivered on its promises. In it society has collapsed, order has collapsed, and it is in the process of reorganizing itself into something new, something different, that may not resemble its origins in the least. It is a world without culture. Yes, there are museums and Broadway posters and advertisements and architecture but they are nothing more than meaningless buildings and wasted paper. I see you standing there, in the middle of that great unraveling thing, your little avatar, trying to play nice and get along in a world that has already ended.

Or you can lash out. There is no meaningful content except other players.

There is no end-game – You are the end game.

I think it’s normal that some people’s feelings are hurt over this.

Ubisoft sold you the end of the world.

Your buyer’s remorse seems natural enough.
Or as some would call it in the simplest form, an accidental pvp game. A game with non-needed player vs player elements but they added it anyway like it was some extra crumbs 

AmericanReaper75

Community Member
That happen to me last night but instead of him stealing all my stuff he left most of it. may have reached his limit but hey it happens lol. Then after I was surrounded by some gold LMB and three others came out of no where and helped me which was good since I ran dry of my primary weapon and was using a shotgun lol. Ive seen both sides. Where i see the frustration I also feel well this is a game and I am not actually losing anything so if someone wants to shot me and take my stuff ill be ok haha especially since he paid the 60 or more for his copy of the game in order to play it the way the feel they want to.  Also when I was with that group one of our guys ran ahead and someone was about shoot him until the 3 of us came up. He changed his mind quickly haha. I also ran into the baiters... A guy shot me with a shotgun in hopes id go rogue but I wasnt in the mood to go rogue so I just kept on moving haha.

V3RN3TTI

Community Member
I'm quite fed up with the dark zone. Keep getting hammered by high level players or teams. I try to stay in the lower area, farming and helping, teaming with other  players. But then rogue players keep killing me and/or stealing my stuff.  Maybe the game should start introducing more bracketing for 30/30 and above.  At least I'd like to have a fighting chance with players of my level. I'm now entering the DZ with at least one friend, but yesterday, we were bot killed by one high level single player. From now I'll try only entering with team of four people. 

Voyager42

Community Agent
At level 30 people get bored and go rogue just to kill something.
I went in at 24 last night. Faced the same thing. 3 guys just going around targeting players. I had come across a couple others (not in a group just like minded players) and we stood a chance for a bit. But....they bailed on me. Which I didn't notice lol. 

Vampiric ODST

Forum Asshole
Too long..didn't read. Stop whining.

Just kidding. Some people are always going to want their way when it comes to a game. If they don't like something, they'll start whining about it. Awwwww I got killed by a rouge. This game sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements