• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

The Division vs The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunblessed

Community Agent
I have a question that people might find odd! I've been comparing The Division with real life, and I've been thinking. What year does the Division take place in? I have Googled it, and all I've found are unnofficial sources saying it takes place in 2018, or one source saying that Massive or Ubisoft stated it takes place between 2020 and 2030; but I have not found any official confirmation on that. So, again, my odd little question is: What year does The Division take place in? Does anybody know or have a clue?

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
I've heard mostly 2018, but then again there's cases for 2020, 2025, 2030 and other dates based on signage that's in the game.  I'm not sure if it mentions the year in the companion book, but that might have the answer. 

Sunblessed

Community Agent
I've heard mostly 2018, but then again there's cases for 2020, 2025, 2030 and other dates based on signage that's in the game.  I'm not sure if it mentions the year in the companion book, but that might have the answer. 
Thank you for the reply! Since there are so many different cases about when it takes place, maybe I can just...decide for myself. Within reason, of course.

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
2001 Dark Winter exercise revealed the need to maintain the continuity of government in the advent of a bio-terrorist attack.

2007 May 4th, George WBush signs the Presidential Directive 51.

2015 December 27, Black Friday. $100 tainted bills released into circulation.

2015 December 18, Directive 51 is activated.

Ubisoft Promo evidence:

CIR8Zz2UEAAK7e0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunblessed

Community Agent
2001 Dark Winter exercise revealed the need to maintain the continuity of government in the advent of a bio-terrorist attack.

2007 May 4th, George WBush signs the Presidential Directive 51.

2015 December 27, Black Friday. $100 tainted bills released into circulation.

2015 December 18, Directive 51 is activated.

Ubisoft Promo evidence:

View attachment 953
Oh, that's a great find! Where did you get it from? :D

So, judging from this newspaper, the game takes place in 2015. Unless Ubisoft or Massive changed it later on. But it's, cool, I can work with that! Thanks!

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
Oh, that's a great find! Where did you get it from? :D

So, judging from this newspaper, the game takes place in 2015. Unless Ubisoft or Massive changed it later on. But it's, cool, I can work with that! Thanks!
I asked uncle google. Though, uncle google was at his incorrigible best. There was some talk about Black Friday being the 23 November, which would mean either 2007 or 2018. Peeps we're guessing 2007, since Directive 51 was that year as well. However, couldn't find anything to suggest any meaning in "23 November". So, tried some more and found a timeline which suggested December 27th. And eventually found the Newspaper, which I thought back it up enough.  Maybe November 23rd came from some pre-release details, since this game was years in the making.

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
I asked uncle google. Though, uncle google was at his incorrigible best. There was some talk about Black Friday being the 23 November, which would mean either 2007 or 2018. Peeps we're guessing 2007, since Directive 51 was that year as well. However, couldn't find anything to suggest any meaning in "23 November". So, tried some more and found a timeline which suggested December 27th. And eventually found the Newspaper, which I thought back it up enough.  Maybe November 23rd came from some pre-release details, since this game was years in the making.
This was why I lean towards 2018.  The fact that the directive was signed and in less than 12 months the US government was able to train and equip not 1 but 2 waves of Division agents seemed highly unlikely.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunblessed

Community Agent
It's highly unlikely that it takes place in 2007. Not just because of DeadSockPuppet's very valid point about the unlikeliness of training 2 waves of SHD Agents in less than 12 months, but also because several guns that are in-game did not begin production until after 2007. The Vector, for example, began production in 2009, and the ACR began production in 2010. The X-45 pistol, known in real life as the FN Herstal FNX-45, did not even begin the design phase until after 2007.

...but, forget all that, why is no one asking the obvious question?

Okay, I will. @Sunblessed what are you doing with said info? ;) 
I am using this information to decide what birth date my Agent has. I am an avid roleplayer, and I have written an Agent profile modelled after the Agent Profiles you recover in-game; however, I have expanded upon it too. I made a thread for it in the Agent Made Content sections of the Division forums here:

Look for the link to Google Docs! The version there is constantly up-to-date. :)

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
It's highly unlikely that it takes place in 2007. Not just because of DeadSockPuppet's very valid point about the unlikeliness of training 2 waves of SHD Agents in less than 12 months, but also because several guns that are in-game did not begin production until after 2007. The Vector, for example, began production in 2009, and the ACR began production in 2010. The X-45 pistol, known in real life as the FN Herstal FNX-45, did not even begin the design phase until after 2007.

I am using this information to decide what birth date my Agent has. I am an avid roleplayer, and I have written an Agent profile modelled after the Agent Profiles you recover in-game; however, I have expanded upon it too. I made a thread for it in the Agent Made Content sections of the Division forums here:

Look for the link to Google Docs! The version there is constantly up-to-date. :)
Excellent points and excellent reasons.

Now we have guns such as the MG5 which only went into service in 2010 and we have a sniper rifle variant that is from 2011 (M700...variant in game known as "carbon fibre" but its actually the M2010 Enhanced

All this edges things into the range of 2012-2016 in my opinion. Personally I think the timeline is "now". 

Status
Not open for further replies.