• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Any way to get top gear without DZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swk3000

Community Member
I'm trying to figure out a build I like, but the first problem is that I'm still in all Purple gear. Unfortunately, the main place I see people saying to go for top level gear is the DZ. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I don't have the stats to survive against Elites in DZ01, much less in DZ06 where enemies that drop the top end loot reside. In addition, the standard attitude towards players not in your fireteam seems to be to kill them and see what they have, so getting gear out of the DZ isn't happening. Partly because I suck at PvP in any game, and partly because I don't have a reliable group to play with, so I'm generally by myself.

The other issue, of course, is finding a build I like, but that's just as difficult. My playstyle is mostly weapon-oriented, but I absolutely love Sticky Grenade, so my thoughts were to make a Firearms/Electronics build, but one of my weapons with a really good ability requires 1900 Stamina, and I'm afraid that pushes the build too far towards a three-stat build, which everything I've seen says isn't viable. So I have no idea what I want to do build-wise. However, I figure that the first step is being able to get decent gear.

fewcm

Community Agent
Dailys on hard, named boss guaranteed HE drop.

Also I'm no expert, but my impression has been you usually will be forced to concentrate on Firearms/stamina, or stamina/electronics, not all three without gimping yourself.

I would think you need to decide what kind of build you want to decide what gear to keep though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MichFan

Shoot 1st Ask Questions Later
Dailys on hard, named boss guaranteed HE drop.
What he said, all named NPCs are now dropping one HE drop each time you kill them. The high level the NPC the better chance of getting a piece of gear with a score of 182 which is really what you're looking for in drops. 

HHHope

Community Veteran
I'm trying to figure out a build I like, but the first problem is that I'm still in all Purple gear. Unfortunately, the main place I see people saying to go for top level gear is the DZ. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. I don't have the stats to survive against Elites in DZ01, much less in DZ06 where enemies that drop the top end loot reside. In addition, the standard attitude towards players not in your fireteam seems to be to kill them and see what they have, so getting gear out of the DZ isn't happening. Partly because I suck at PvP in any game, and partly because I don't have a reliable group to play with, so I'm generally by myself.

The other issue, of course, is finding a build I like, but that's just as difficult. My playstyle is mostly weapon-oriented, but I absolutely love Sticky Grenade, so my thoughts were to make a Firearms/Electronics build, but one of my weapons with a really good ability requires 1900 Stamina, and I'm afraid that pushes the build too far towards a three-stat build, which everything I've seen says isn't viable. So I have no idea what I want to do build-wise. However, I figure that the first step is being able to get decent gear.
Do they Dailys or get a group to play with in the dark zone !

Xeromaus

The Rogue Mod
Dailys on hard, named boss guaranteed tier one HE drop, then move on to challenge mode runs as quickly as you can comfortably to get a set of tier two HE and possibly set pieces as well. Past that, crafting, vendors with phoenix credits, and incursion.
there, fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

swk3000

Community Member
And that will drop top-tier loot? I keep hearing people talk about Level 31 gear, which apparently drops from enemies in the Dark Zone. I'm worried that  even if I go farming General Assembly and get a full set of High End gear, it will still be significantly weaker than the stuff that you would get from the Dark Zone. If it's only slightly weaker, that's fine; I have no problem not getting the best gear, since I can't do the stuff that gets it. That's only fair. I'm just worried that there will be a huge gap between my gear and the best gear.

As for build, a Firearms/Stamina build would probably be best, given that I use my weapons the most, but as I said, I really enjoy Sticky Grenade, so I want that to do decent damage. Unfortunately, the best Weapon abilities I know of require about 1900 Stamina, and I don't know what other options I have if I decide to stick with a Firearms/Electronics build.

Xeromaus

The Rogue Mod
at the moment, the incursion drops the highest gear in game at gear score 240. You will be missing out on some craftables with a high end gear score not being able to access DZ06 vendor blueprints and purchases, but if all you're looking for is to be competitive in either PvE or PvP, you'll be fine with 182 HE pieces and b.o.o. vendor blueprints.

You can always collect two sets of gear, one for firearms/stam and one for balance across all three main stats. At the worst, it gives you a stashable set you can use to test out weapon talents, and at best you can flip your build to a new role at the drop of a hat.

swk3000

Community Member
I actually came across a way to get the build I want, I think, and I can't believe I didn't think of it before. The basic idea would be to run a basic Weapons build, so Firearms/Stamina, then roll Skill Power on my gear. While I suspect that the Sticky Grenade won't be quite as powerful as it would with pure Electronics, it should still be pretty solid, and it keeps me from having to use a three-stat build.

Liberty Walk

Community Member

You don't have to step a foot in the dz if you don't want. Incursions and challenges will work just fine and the boo vender will rotate his 204 weapons as well. Farm challenges. 

ThePassionateGamer

Community Agent
I actually came across a way to get the build I want, I think, and I can't believe I didn't think of it before. The basic idea would be to run a basic Weapons build, so Firearms/Stamina, then roll Skill Power on my gear. While I suspect that the Sticky Grenade won't be quite as powerful as it would with pure Electronics, it should still be pretty solid, and it keeps me from having to use a three-stat build.
Have you considered going firearms / stamina and taking the flashbang mod instead of the BFB? That frees up 1-2 talents that you would normally use to maximize your sticky bomb damage. Because like you said you won't do PVP with this build and the only area where a decent sticky bomb with BFB is any good is the DZ and PVP at least that is what I can say so far and what I read here and on other sources online.

So with the Sticky Bomb + Flashbang mod you don't need the two explosives talents but get a nice crowd control skill that also has a better cooldown then the BFB mod. And crowd control is better then the damage you deal with the BFB because it disrupts the enemies and you can safely shoot them for a short time. And the Flashbang mod has a way bigger area of effect. Since more skillpower on the flashbang only seems to improve the cooldown of the skill, electronics can mostly be left aside. Correct me if I am wrong here but I did not notice any changes in the skill besides the shorter cooldown if you stack electronics.

Maybe that would work for you. Just give it a thought.

MurphDog6

Rogue Hunter
I would agree your best bet is to run sticky bomb with flash bang mod instead of bfb for PvE. You can run the challenging and hard daily missions and stockpile some pheonix credits by completing the assignments too. If you are looking for HE gear without entering the dark zone that's yours best way to go. Don't forget that you can match make for a a dark zone party in safe houses too, you can then go in with a group (albeit strangers) instead of the fear of running solo.

swk3000

Community Member
The Flash Bang mod for Sticky Grenade is an interesting idea, and one I can see the appeal of. I generally like straight damage, hence my decision to use the BFB upgrade, but I have used the Flash Bang mod while farming Bullet King to great effect. In fact, I can definitely see the control being far more useful than the straight damage.

Another question, now that it's been mentioned: what are the standard Passive abilities for a Firearms build? Nothing really jumps out at me as a must-have, so I'm a little lost.

ThePassionateGamer

Community Agent
The Flash Bang mod for Sticky Grenade is an interesting idea, and one I can see the appeal of. I generally like straight damage, hence my decision to use the BFB upgrade, but I have used the Flash Bang mod while farming Bullet King to great effect. In fact, I can definitely see the control being far more useful than the straight damage.

Another question, now that it's been mentioned: what are the standard Passive abilities for a Firearms build? Nothing really jumps out at me as a must-have, so I'm a little lost.
You mean the talents?

It is again up to your prefered playstile. If you go solo you would use slightly other talents as in a group.

Good talents to use are in no specific order:

Tactical Advance (for getting extra damage after a cover-to-cover move in combat)

Evasive Action (for more damage reduction wheny you do a cover-to-cover move)

Combat Medic (Good in groups to spread you med kit healing to other agents and their deployed toys)

One is None (A 50% chance to get a bullet back into you magazine when you land a headshot. This has the potential to enhance your damage greatly works like a charm with low mag size shotguns for example, I use it in nearly every build I play.)

If you like to use crowd control skills like the seeker mine with airburst or the turret with the zapper mod then one of those is nice to have:

Wildfire (Gives you a 30% chance to spread the burning status effect to enemies within 10m of the one you activated the effect on)

Fear tactics (The same as wildfire only for the shock status effect the zapper mod and the stun grenade cause)

If you revive other agents alot or find yourself on low health alot then those can come in handy:

Battle Buddy (Gives you and the revived agent 50% damage reduction for 10seconds which can help alot when you barely made it to the agent and need to get back into good cover again)

Critical save (Gives you 40% damage reduction for 10 seconds, like above good for escaping tight situations if you find yourself in alot of them, it is a good choice)

These are just some of the better ones based on my personal opinion and experience. Feel free to use them if you like. The choice of talents largely depends on what you want to do with your build. A medic would use other talents then a damage dealer or a electronics supporter and so on... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements